Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Four Books You Don't Want To Read



I have read several books in my life that I have regretted reading. They have either been a complete waste of time, are depressing, or are just down right stupid. But before we get started on listing these dreadful books, I would like you to know that this is only my opinion. If you like any of these books, that's great, and I'm terribly sorry to have bashed it...so now lets get on with the bashing:P


The first book that comes to mind when I think of a waste of time is The Looking Glass Wars. The first one was entertaining and a fun idea, but when it kept going on, and on, and on, through to the third book, I was bored. I didn't even finish it. Plus Frank Beddor completely ruined the original Alice in Wonderland idea...so if you see this book cover, stay away from it! While the first one may be entertaining, you will probably spend money that you didn't want to and waste time you didn't want to waste by reading the next two!

Yes...his books do have cool covers...


The second book that I think of as being horribly depressing is Mockingjay.

Don't get me wrong: the first two installments of the Hunger Games trilogy were incredible, and I am a huge fan of the first movie (and I cannot WAIT for Catching Fire to come out). Again...this is only my opinion, but Suzanne seemed to be completely out of ideas for this third book. So she made all of her characters have horrible mental breakdowns and ended the series on depressing note. I was very upset...very. But, I'm not saying you should never read this book. If you read the first two, you're GOING to read this one:) If you've seen the movies The Last of the Mohicans or Patriot, you know how depressed you feel after watching either one of those movies. Well, that's how I felt after Mockinjay.


I have never been a Ted Dekker fan, but when I saw the first of the Circle series at my Library, I thought it sounded like it was worth a try.

Many words entered my mind after I had read this book...weird, strange, dark, and stupid. It was stupid. The way Ted Dekker wrote it made it seem like he was trying very hard for it to be epic and full of good morals like Lord of the Rings or The Chronicles of Narnia...and it was an epic failure. End of story. That book gave fantasy a bad name.
Ahem...moving on...







Despite a lovely cover and classic story, I didn't even make it the whole way through this book. I adore some of Robin McKinley's works, but Spindle's End  was so full of flowery speach and insignificant details, I found myself growing very bored and detached from the characters. It sits on my bookshelf, though; waiting to be read. Perhaps some day I will  finish it and realize that it was in fact a good book...but for now, it sits unread next to a very well loved and read Beauty.

So tell me what books you wish that you hadn't read and if you enjoyed some of the ones I didn't care for. Next post will be four books that you HAVE to read:)

See y'all at the Fanfiction Contest tomorrow!
Here's a link to a stunning poem written by John Keats...and the best part is, it's being quoted by Tom Hiddleston! (Yes...Tom Hiddleston is one of my favorite actors) Enjoy! http://nicoleyoleypoley.tumblr.com/post/22928917034/tom-hiddleston-reads-bright-star-by-john-keats

Isn't his speaking voice the most be-yew-tiful thing you've ever heard? Thanks to Rachel over at Sesquipedalian Dreamer for sending it to me! (Check out her blog...it's fully awesome:)

Until next time!
<3 Clara

8 comments:

  1. Ha, ha! Interesting post. I haven't read the first three, But am inclined to agree with you on 2 and 3 considering what I've heard about them. I thought Spindle's End was okay, but I liked The Blue Sword and Chalice so much better.

    I can't wait to see your top four books tomorrow! I'm glad to see you more active on your blog again! I've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! I do love Chalice as well, but I haven't read The Blue Sword. But if you liked it, I'm sure I will enjoy it too!

      Delete
    2. Ooo, and one thing about 'Spindle's End.' While I agree the description is really overbearing and boring, I consider the climax to be one of Robin Mckinley's best. But of course, I adore birds of prey, courageous and super fast horses, dark fortresses, daring rescues and escapes, faerie men doing awesome things, impossible things with their powers,self-sacrifice, a little bitter-sweetness, but an overall satisfying and happy ending. Interested now? ;)

      Oh, and if you do read 'The Blue Sword', know that the first chapter will be the hardest to get through.

      Delete
    3. Yes...well...I do believe I'm going to pick up Spindle's End again and give it another go! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, despite how depressing it was, I actually liked MockingJay. It was better than Catching Fire, in my opinion, but nothing can top the first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I totally understand, Rebekah. Alot of my friends and some of my family feel the same way you do concerning Mockinjay. It was just not my personal favorite:)

      Delete
    2. Oh, let me tell you something, if I may: NEVER read "This Lullaby" or "I Killed Wesley Paine". Not only are they stupid, but I believe I now have scars for life, they are so evil.

      Delete
    3. Lol. I won't! Although now I have to at least look them up and see what they are about;)

      Delete

Allon-sy!