Thursday, September 26, 2013

Learning to Focus

I am no professional writer. But I do write a great deal, and through the hours that I spend typing away at my laptop I’ve learned one very important thing.

Focus.

If I’m in a room with people walking past me, saying “hello” and “good morning” I totally lose my train of thought. It’s horrible! When I got my new job I started riding to work with my sister who works at the same place I do, she has to start her work at seven A. M. and I don’t start mine until ten; so I have quite a bit of downtime. I usually write in this time period, but I can’t escape the people. They’re all very nice, but they totally distract me! It’s even worse when they walk by with their cute little puppies who are struggling to get close to me for some petting.

But I can’t think about the puppies or hummingbirds fluttering past the windows. I have to focus on my writing. I just found out that it’s actually not so hard to do when you put your mind to it. Usually I take a deep breath and tell myself NO INTERNET. My reward after a few pages of writing is to check and see what’s going on in Goldstone Wood, but only after a few good pages.

When I’m in the sanctuary of my room at home, I have a piece of paper taped on the outside of my door that says, “Le writer is writing. Leave now and never come back!” Of course, no one in my family cares anything about the sign and they come barging in anyway saying something like, “CLARA WHERE’S THE...” and so on. That means that I even have to practice being focused at home. If any thoughts of checking to see if anything new are happening on the blogs I follow spring to mind, I shut them down. If I go and check to see what’s happening on over at A Writer’s Ponderings, I probably won’t be back to my neglected story for quite a while, and when I do eventually get back, I won’t be able to remember the witty line my hero was about to say.

So the moral of this post is this: find the weakest point in your focus and do your best to get rid of the distracting problem. And then watch your story growJ

I think that I have even become more focused after this…SQUIRREL!

                                                           
<3 Clara

4 comments:

Allon-sy!